In geometry, a triangle with all sides equal is termed an equilateral triangle. Once we split the word equilateral, Equi stands for equivalent as lateral is for all sides. An equilateral triangle is also known as a regular polygon. Before we go ahead let us understand in detail an equilateral triangle along with its properties.
An equilateral triangle and their features
An equilateral triangle is a triangle where all three sides are equal. Even the angles are equal. Since the value of each angle in an equilateral triangle is 60 degrees it goes by the name of an equiangular triangle. It is considered to be a regular polygon since a regular triangle or a regular polygon as the sides along with the angles are equal.
Based on the length of the side triangles are categorized into three types. First is an equilateral triangle where all the three sides are equal, then there is an isosceles triangle where two sides are equal. The scalene triangle is one where all the three sides are not equal.
In simple terms when the three sides and three angles of a triangle is equal it is referred to as an equilateral triangle.
The properties of an equilateral triangle
There are some properties of an equilateral triangle that classify it as an equilateral one. Below are mentioned a list of properties of an equilateral triangle classifying it to be one.
- The sides of an equilateral triangle are equal in measurement
- The angles of an equilateral triangle are concurrent to each other at 60 degrees
- A regular polygon having three sides
- If you are drawing a perpendicular from any vertex, which is the opposite side of an equilateral triangle, the side would be bisected into equal lengths. It is also known to bisect the angle of a vertex into two equal halves. It is at 30 degrees each from where you are drawing the perpendicular
- The centroid and Ortho center at the same point
- The sum of all angles of an equilateral triangle is 180 degrees
- The perimeter of an equilateral triangle is 3 a where a would be the side of an equilateral triangle
- There is a specific formula to arrive at the area of equilateral triangle.
The perimeter of an equilateral triangle
To calculate the perimeter of an equilateral triangle, it is three times the side of an equilateral triangle. A reason for the same is that all the sides of an equilateral triangle. The specific formula to arrive at the area of an equilateral triangle is 3 a where a is the sum of all sides.
An example of how to calculate the perimeter of an equilateral triangle would make things clear. The perimeter of an equilateral triangle is 3 * the sides of an equilateral triangle. In this particular case, it would be 70 * 3= 210 inches
The area of an equilateral triangle
The space that is covered by an equilateral triangle in a two-dimensional space is the area of an equilateral triangle
Other facts about an equilateral triangle
An equilateral triangle is known to have its three sides and three angles equal. The measurement of each of the sides is the same and even the angle is 60 degrees.
So if you are looking to study the equilateral triangle and its properties the best place is Cuemath. Within a short span of time, the online educational portal has generated a lot of positive reviews If you visit the website you may visit the positive reviews posted by the clients as well.